Sunday 10 May 2009

In a Jam – WAG 11 (Writing Adventure Group)

I was awash in a sea of stop lights. Grid lock is never fun and after ten minutes I was already fed up. I glanced to the guy in the car to my left and watched him frantically rub his nose. It must be an itch. What is it they say? A row or a surprise.

I looked to the front and stared at the line of stationary traffic. ‘God we’re going to be here ages,’ I muttered. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him prod the end of his nose with his right forefinger. Well it can’t be an itch, it must be something else. I was intrigued and turned my head slightly so I could watch him without appearing to stare. But he didn’t care, he was totally immersed in his nose. I turned so I could see him properly.

He leaned forward and adjusted his driving mirror. Then, tilting his head so he could see better, he pushed the tip of his nose upwards with his finger. Was it a spot or a growth? Or maybe it was something even more sinister like cancer. His face was now about an inch from the mirror and he wiggled the tip of his nose with his finger and peered into his nostrils. I couldn’t keep my eyes off him.

Suddenly he sprung out of his seat and let out a silent scream. I saw a red spider slide out of his left nostril and fall onto his lap.

-o0o-

I wrote this after I watched a man playing with his nose in a traffic jam. He did everything I described, only the last two sentences above are actually fiction. OK, so maybe I didn’t follow the instructions completely.

Instructions for WAG #11: Scaredy-Cat

Another people-watching exercise! Choose a stranger and observe him/her for a little while. Now give them a phobia. A full-on, jump on the chair, scream like a little girl, unreasonable fear. (Or however you imagine them to respond.) Try to choose something that fits the person you’re watching, and let us know what it is about them that clued you in to their secret fear. The object is not just to describe the fear, but to make us understand why it fits with this particular person.

11 comments:

  1. I think anyone would scream if a spider dropped out of their nose! Ick!

    Little spiders don't bother me, but big hairy ones do... so I could relate.

    Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I love the line: 'But he didn't care, he was so immersed in his nose.'

    It's funny how people in their cars think they're invisible to those around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that made me shudder and completely wince. Very creepy, a great twist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that got a big "Gawk!" out of me! Nice job, Peter. It took me to a place which I never wish to visit again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good development of your character, Peter, nosey-poker though he may be : ) At least he didn't inspire a-write-naphobia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's good to add a twist to a real situation.

    I found a medium-sized spider in basket of clean washing one. I hope no-one was looking as I evicted the intruder, or they may have asked "Why is the Vicar waving her knickers out of the window?" And that is absolutely true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gross, gross, gross!! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing how the interior of cars can feel self-contained and isolated from the world. People so easily forget they are entirely visible behind all that glass. Great description and payoff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like a man that knows how to break the rules, Peter. Great job. I think having small hitchhikers drop out of any orifice would be enough to give anyone the heeby-jeebies. It would be even worse if it happened in a closed space where you really couldn't leave (or dunk your head into a large bucket of water!) Yuck!

    I'm letting all the WAG participants know about a neat flash fiction contest over at Editor Unleashed. It starts tomorrow. 1000 words or less, any topic. Might want to give it a shot.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peter-

    This was creepy and yet fun- because we've all been stuck in traffic next to a nose poker... Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. *shudder* I think I'd develop a phobia if I found a spider up my nose

    ReplyDelete