Thursday 30 April 2009

A Polished Professional – WAG 10 Entry

I read the instructions for this Writing Adventure Group challenge when I picked up my email at a coffee shop on the motorway. I was driving back from visiting my parents by the seaside and my brain raced with ideas when I got back in the car. By the time I reached the next service station I had to stop and scribble down this piece. I have placed the instructions at the end of the post.

A Polished Professional

Darren loved to polish the glasses. It was so satisfying to see them shine in the light. That was the main reason that he worked in the bar although, of course, there was always Cheryl. Sparkling Cheryl in her white starched blouse with the top button almost popping under the strain and her black pencil skirt with the slit up her left thigh. It was enough to put any red-blooded male off his work.

He glanced towards her by the table in the corner as he carefully took a large wine glass from the dishwasher and checked it for chips against the light. Then with a flick of his wrist he tossed the corner of the cloth into the glass and twisted it in his right hand to polish it inside and out like a true professional. Finally holding it by the stem in his left hand he raised it to his eyes and turned it slowly to check for smears. At that moment his spied Cheryl wiggling back to the bar with her swinging hips and bouncing breasts.

His mouth dropped and his heart raced.
If only he had the courage to ask her.




Instructions for WAG #10: The Professional

As we go through our days, we’re surrounded by people doing everyday jobs: the guy that reads the gas meter, cashiers, bank tellers, security guards, doctors, circus clowns… This week, your assignment is to observe someone doing a job (their profession should be one you don’t know that much about). Describe him/her and also what they’re doing, why they’re doing it (as best you can tell), and how. Feel free to use your imagination, but don’t forget the concrete observation! Special thanks to Lulu for this week’s topic idea!

9 comments:

  1. Peter, a perfect short story with so few words. I loved it. And one of the most interesting explanations about why someone would be a bartender - they like to clean glasses. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good description of unrecruited love, as well as of professional pride. Very nice indeed, did you observe the pair in action at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crisply done, Peter; having worked in food service I know only too well the "types" you describe and could easily identify with the pride one takes in a good sparkle. It's analogous to the way writers read, re-read, re-re-read,... to get just the clarity they want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Aww, I feel bad for the guy, us women can chew men up and spit them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gunnar
    Yes, watched him earlier this year as part of an exercise for a drama class that I was doing. Fasinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your piece. I felt like I was a patron sitting at the bar, watching the scene. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice piece, Peter. I used to be a dishwasher - first job while in high school. Most people don't even think of workers like that as professionals, or of having professional pride. But it's been my experience that nearly everyone who works takes professional pride in what they do, no matter how menial the task. I certainly did, as did my full time coworker, who never expected to be anything other than a dishwasher. You captured this aspect of work wonderfully.

    I was also very shy, so I identified with that part of the personality too.

    Chris, yes, you can. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL @ Jon's comment to Chris.

    This was lovely, Peter. I could see the light glinting off the glass as he checked the clarity. I didn't quite have the feel for Cheryl, whether she was innocent of driving him crazy or a great big tease, and out of sympathy for him, I needed to know. I guess that's a good sign that the story grabbed me. Nicely wrought.

    Cheers!
    SueO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this very much. I'm always keen on reading how male writers put attraction in their prose. It helps make my male POV more authentic.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete